Checklist for Preparing for Drug Detox in Los Angeles
Your Drug Detox Checklist
While choosing to get involved in treatment programs for drug abuse and alcohol addiction is courageous, alcohol or drug detox can feel daunting to prepare for. There are many moving parts and necessities to consider. You may feel the need to rely upon or worry about taking care of loved ones or be uncertain about what to pack.
Below are some tips for mentally, emotionally, and practically preparing for drug detox and rehab in Los Angeles, California. Follow these to make the first step towards sober living a good one:
- Avoid bringing drugs of choice: bingeing before giving up a drug makes the process more difficult and dangerous, no matter what substance is abused.
- Focus on good overall health: get plenty of rest, eat nutritious meals, and drink lots of water. Rehab centers can help with this.
- Focus on the positive: the more focused on positive effects, such as detoxing from drugs and alcohol, the better the experience
- Spend time with loved ones: as part of addiction treatment, a detox center may isolate participants.
- Communicate with your employer: notify through all the proper channels (HR, etc.) any time off work needed and file any necessary paperwork
- Arrange childcare and pet care: if you have children or pets, scheduling care beforehand will allow you to focus on recovery and protect those who depend on you
- Get rid of drug paraphernalia: removing all triggers from your normal life means lessened temptation when you return
- If required, notify the courts: if attending drug detox or rehab is part of a legal sentence or court-ordered mandate, be sure to rely on the information through proper channels
Following this checklist can help you focus on your recovery and detox, reducing the chance of relapse into harmful behaviors.
What You Should Expect During Drug Detox
The detox process is the first step toward healing and sober living. Detox removes toxins from the body’s systems from using drugs and alcohol. The process can feel painful, uncomfortable, or scary, but when managed by a professional team of caring addiction specialists at a drug rehab treatment center, withdrawal symptoms can be lessened or remain theoretical.
Learn about celebrities who needed addiction treatment here:
What to Pack for Detox
Depending on the length of your stay at a drug detox program, whether an intensive outpatient program, outpatient program, or partial hospitalization, what you want to bring may vary. However, some basic considerations of things to pack are:
- About a week’s worth of comfortable clothing and options for layering. Avoid clothing with logos or graphics depicting or promoting drug or alcohol use.
- Workout clothes
- One pair of comfortable shoes, one pair of workout shoes
- Underwear and pajamas
- Bathing suit (if there’s a pool)
- Jacket and/or sweatshirt
- Unopened, alcohol-free toiletries and hygiene products
- Unopened prescription medications with labels intact
- List of medications you’re taking, with documentation from a doctor
- Pertinent health information
- Identification (driver’s license or ID) and insurance, if any
- Contact info for friends and family
- Personal items for enjoyable hobbies like reading or magazines, journaling, or knitting and crocheting
- Comfort items like a stuffed animal, pillow, or family photos
- Do not bring jewelry or other valuable items unless it’s necessary, like a wedding ring
When preparing for a stay at a drug rehab center in Los Angeles, it’s important to bring items that will aid in the healing process. Comfort is key during detox and rehabilitation, so packing personal items that promote relaxation and a sense of security is beneficial. Here are some suggestions:
- Comfortable Clothing: Choose items like your favorite t-shirt or comfortable loungewear. These can help you feel more at ease and less stressed during your stay.
- Personal Hygiene Products: While many facilities provide basic toiletries, bringing your own can make you feel more comfortable and at home.
- Photos or Personal Mementos: Pictures of loved ones or small keepsakes can be a source of comfort and motivation during challenging times in rehab.
- Journal or Notebook: Writing can be a therapeutic way to process your experiences and emotions during rehab.
- Books or Magazines: Reading material can be a good way to relax and distract yourself during downtime.
Choosing Muse Treatment Center for Drug Detox Los Angeles
At Muse Treatment Center, we offer Los Angeles, California residents an opportunity to address their alcohol or drug addiction through the various comprehensive approaches to addiction treatment offered within our residential alcohol rehab program. We provide multiple levels of care that will be sure to meet your specific needs and goals for sobriety. You will choose from a residential inpatient alcohol rehab, an intensive outpatient program, or a partial hospitalization program. No matter which option you select, Muse Addiction Treatment Center offers Los Angeles residents a multitude of evidence-based therapies that will target their specific needs, including trauma therapy, behavioral therapy, and dual diagnosis treatment options. We aim to provide patients with a whole-person integrated treatment approach that will allow them to heal from their alcohol addiction physically, emotionally, and mentally to set them up for success in their newfound life in sobriety. Contact us at (800) 426-1818 to learn more about your addiction treatment options today.