25 Fun Sober Activities in Los Angeles
Why It’s Important to Find Sober Activities After Treatment
According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 19.7 million Americans aged 12 and older struggled with a substance use disorder in 2017. Substance abuse addiction can include either drugs or alcohol, or both. Common signs of addiction include:
- Issues at work, school, or home, including poor performance, truancy, and social dysfunction
- Loss of energy or motivation
- Neglecting your hygiene
- Spending excessive amounts of money to get the substance
- Obsessing over the substance
- Performing risky behaviors while under the influence
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when without the substance
- Developing a high tolerance, so you have to take more to feel the effects of the substance
- Stealing to get the substance
- Lying about consumption habits
- Compulsively using the substance or being unable to stop using it
If you or a loved one struggles with an addiction to drugs or alcohol, consider seeking treatment from a professional rehab facility, such as Muse Treatment. Here, you will learn how to live a sober life without drugs or alcohol and discover the importance of sober activities after treatment.
Studies show that fun, sober activities are crucial to addiction recovery because they fill in the time and energy that was formerly spent using drugs or alcohol. Without sober activities, your chances of relapse increase because there will be an empty void that needs to be filled. Plus, a sober life without fun can lead to depression, boredom, irritability, and anger, increasing your risk of relapse.
- These are additional benefits of engaging in fun sober activities:
- They’re a great way to destress and relax
- They provide an opportunity to meet other people with similar hobbies and interests
- They can help you develop new skills
- They can be a creative outlet
- They’re enjoyable
If you need help figuring out where to start, think about hobbies and interests in your past and try to reignite your passion for those things. If that doesn’t work for you, feel free to start something new until you find the right fit. Let’s talk more about fun sober activities in Los Angeles.
25 Fun Sober Activities in Los Angeles
Do you live in the LA area? Or are you planning to visit and spend some time on the West Coast? Either way, if you’re in the market for fun sober activities in LA, take your pick from these 25 options:
- Kayak down the LA River – consider renting a kayak and going on a guided tour of the LA River.
- Visit Greystone Mansion – visit the popular mansion from “Bridgerton” and experience the formal English gardens.
- Drive a Polaris Slingshot – visit Top Off Rides LA to get behind the wheel of a Polaris Slingshot
- Explore the Last Bookstore – visit the largest new and used bookstore in California, complete with a record store, comic book store, five art studios, a yarn shop, a famous book tunnel, a mammoth head, and unexpected reading nooks throughout the library.
- Watch from Dockweiler Beach as planes take off – catch the best views of planes taking off and hang gliders at Dockweiler Beach.
- Visit Barnsdall Art Park – take in the beauty of the world-class gallery in East Hollywood. If you’re feeling really creative, consider taking an art class.
- Ride a jet ski to Catalina Island – spend the day on the Pacific Ocean and jet ski to Catalina Island
- Play virtual reality arcade games at Two Bit Circus – this tech-infused entertainment is complete with arcade games, fully immersive experience rooms, and friendly robots.
- Take in the art at the Broad Museum – enjoy modern art at this free and local museum.
- Wander around the Getty Museum – with art ranging from the middle ages to modern times; this museum has something for everyone.
- Plan a trip to the Walt Disney Concert Hall – visit the home of the LA Philharmonic and immerse yourself in classical, contemporary, and jazz music
- Stargaze at Griffith Park Observatory – gaze through telescopes, explore exhibits, and see live shows at the local Planetarium.
- Shop at outdoor flea markets – you can choose from several flea markets, including Melrose Trading Post, Silverlake Flea Market, and Rose Bowl Flea Market.
- Stroll along the Venice Canals – take in the scenery as you walk along sidewalks and bridges along the Venice Canals.
- Plan a beach trip to Manhattan Beach – perfect for sand volleyball and a bike ride along the oceanfront; Manhattan Beach has fun sober activities for all ages.
- Hike LA’s most scenic trails – take your pick from some of LA’s most scenic hiking trails.
- Experience a live comedy show – visit the Citizen Public Market for must-see comedians
- Visit the Santa Monica Pier – located over the Pacific Ocean; the Santa Monica Pier is home to rides, attractions, and games that are fun for the whole family.
- Tour the historic Queen Mary site – this world-renowned ship offers guided tours so you can learn about the history of the ship.
- Go ax throwing – grab some sober friends and go ax throwing together.
- Tour Beverly Hills – see what Beverly Hills is all about and experience the luxurious shops, mansions, and infamous streets.
- Go to a sports event or game – from the LA Lakers to the LA Clippers; there are plenty of sporting events to choose from
- Take a long walk along the beach – go to the nearest beach and go for a long walk to watch the sunset.
- Attend an outdoor yoga class – find an outdoor yoga class and feel a sense of calm.
- Visit the Natural History Museum – take a walk through history and learn about dinosaurs and ancient wildlife.
Learn about celebrities in rehab in our blog about Colin Farrell below:
Muse Treatment Center Can Help You to Develop a Sober Schedule and Routine
Studies show that addiction treatment centers like Muse Treatment increase an individual’s chances of sobriety. In fact, the longer you spend in recovery, the less likely you are to relapse.
At Muse Treatment, you can receive drug and alcohol detox, inpatient drug and alcohol rehab, outpatient rehab, and sober living assistance. Inpatient or residential treatment allows patients to fully immerse themselves into everyday sober living with support from addiction professionals. Outpatient treatment, or intensive outpatient treatment, is more of a part-time rehab program where patients visit the treatment center for a certain number of hours a specific number of days a week. Sober living is a transitional living environment where you can build a solid foundation for life in recovery.
Each type of treatment includes a variety of therapeutic treatments, such as individual therapy, group therapy, family systems therapy, trauma-informed therapy, as well as more creative outlets like art therapy and music therapy. And treatments don’t stop when you’ve finished rehab.
Muse Treatment will help you develop an aftercare plan that includes a sober schedule and routine. That way, you can transition into sober living easier, monitor your thoughts and behaviors, practice new skills learned in treatment, and stay on top of triggers and temptations to use drugs or alcohol. Luckily, many fun sober activities are just waiting for you, and the professionals at Muse Treatment can help you find them. Call us at (800) 426-1818 to discover more today.